Hey, I just realized how wordy this email has become, but thanks for your gracious endurance if you’ve continued to read this far, lol . . . . I love your idea of a “book club” regarding your latest installment to Jake’s Story unfolding . . . I’d definitely be interested in joining in that discovery if it ever presents itself. Yours and Dave’s online chapters is what brought a lot of language to what the Father was unfolding in my life back then years ago. I think I still have the chapters printed out in a 3-ring binder somewhere with all my scribbles in the margins, That time period brings such a smile to my heart and face just thinking back on it now . . . even though it was extremely tumultuous in our relationships here as well.
I’ve been reading So You Dont Want to Go to Church Anymore, I came across the “what do we do with the kids” part. And John asked if the kids knew how to use a fork. That part! I can’t even begin to tell you how much it did my heart good. I literally wept tears of relief. I find myself holding such ridiculously high standards for myself. Even though I know I’ll never attain them. So thank you! Thank you for sharing/collaborating with this book!
As many of you know, I’ve begun writing the sequel to this book, tentatively titled, So You Really Want to Follow Jesus. As I’ve been re-reading the first book, which I hadn’t done in 17 years, I got excited about that content and thought how fun it would be to take it by chapter and go through it with some people. When I suggested it on my podcast, many of you responded with the desire to join us.
So, I guess it’s time to start the Jake Colsen Book Club. We’re going to work through So You Don’t Want to Go to Church Anymore chapter by chapter in a series of Zoom sessions where you can share your insights or ask questions.
Now, setting a time for this is almost impossible with readers in Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand who said they’d like to join in as well. So, we’re going to bounce the time and dates around to make it easier for people in different time zones to join us. We are going to record the video, so if you can’t join us, you can watch it later and add your comments. I’ve set the first two so people can plan accordingly and make adjustments as we move forward.
- Chapter 1 – Sunday, June 5 at 10:30-11:30 am Pacific Daylight Time. (Please sort out what that means in your own time zone.)
- Chapter 2 – Saturday, June 18 at 4:00-5:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time.
If you’d like to join me in the Zoom room for the discussion email me at email@example.com and I will send you the link to join us. For those who just want to watch, I’ll be streaming it from my Wayne Jacobsen Author Page on Facebook. I’ll also post the link on my blog that morning for those who want to join in at the last minute.
Having done these a few hundred times, here are some guidelines that will help our conversation work best for everyone:
- If possible, use earphones or even a headset with microphone. It keeps background noise to a minimum. Also, mute yourself when not talking.
- Make sure you’re in a quiet setting with printers, vacuum cleaners, etc. turned off. Make sure dogs and kids are cared for away from where you are.
- Share the space. Feel free to jump in and share your thought or question, but then give others a chance too. We don’t want 2 or 3 people to dominate the whole time.
- Please don’t try to “fix” people by giving advice. Advice is best served inside a relationship and when it is solicited. It is often better to ask questions or make observations rather than to tell someone what they should do.
- We expect this time to have some awkward moments, so don’t panic in the silences. The best questions/comments often come out of an awkward pause.
- When you talk the first time, please tell us who you are and where you’re from, so people have context. And, it’s ok to make up a name and a location.
- We’re keeping this to one hour, so please don’t wait until the last minute or you may miss your chance.
- We consider this a public platform, so by participating you agree to have this stream online, and the recording released thereafter.
Let me know if you want to join me in the Zoom Room.
7 thoughts on “The Jake Colsen Book Club”
Would enjoy joining. For the first two then see. Guidelines are no problem. Actually 12 step uses the same.
Interesting year. Rarely turned a wheel with Uber. Much personal chaos but…… His love never changes.
Thank you for your inspiration. One of my “restore my sanity” places to turn and return to.
Blessings and love.
I would love to watch the recorded video please Wayne. this book opened my eyes and doors and I have cited it in several communications I have with folk who are wondering about how relevant church is for them. I would be passing on the video if that is allowed?
You have been such a blessing to so many of us Wayne and I for one really appreciate having my feet set on a different path. Ruth
The link will stay on my FB page and people are welcome to pass the link along.
Hi, Wayne! I’m excited about this, I’ve red the book 2 times, I’ve enjoy it. Can’t wait to listen to the conversation.
All the best to you and your family!
Hi — I’m unable to attend the dates/times but will look forward to the video recording. Where will I find it on the site? Thanks, Trish
You forgot to add Africa (Nigeria to be specific) to the span of your readership and by probable extension your listenership. I look forward to joining the zoom call tomorrow 🙂
Comments are closed.